Not every continuous improvement project can be handled in the same way. Each project deserves a fresh approach that will optimize results.
Application: COMPANY E was recently awarded a new project and are moving from pre-production testing into full-scale production. During the initial stages, COMPANY E used a standard MITGI endmill and chamfer cutter to achieve the part features.
Goals: Reduce cycle times, reduce setup times, and increase parts/tool
Current tool types: Standard micro end mill and chamfer cutter
MITGI Recommendation: Instead of using two tools to create the form, MITGI developed a custom FORM KEY CUTTER to achieve the same shape using a single tool
- Form can be achieved in a single pass, which reduces overall cycle time
- Less setup which means cost savings in both time and scrap
- Superior part quality by delivering better blends and consistent form
- Larger shank allows for more flutes (moving from a 1/8″ standard tool to a 1/2″ form tool), which helps to achieve higher MRR
- Tool designed with added rigidity to allow for faster feed rates and improve cycle time